Thursday 27 November 2014

Appliqué fashion illustrations





Pen drawings from life and free machine appliqué illustrations.








I loved the unusual effect you get when drawing with thread.


The illustration on the right was my first time using this method, and I think was the most successful one. This is probably due to the fact I had more time to complete it. I think the combination of red and orange thread that I used in this figure worked well together. 
They also contrast well with the grays in the background. I had used excessive material to lay over the top of the figure, and as a method of keeping keeping it down I sewed a blanket of thread over the top of it. This has made it look like the figure is standing in a field of grass. Although I had not intended on putting a horizon in the image (about a third of the way up), it adds perspective into the piece, really making the figure stand out. 

I added a horizon into my second piece (as it had worked well in my first), by using contrasting materials. I really liked the creases that were sewn into the clothing in the orange thread. In the dress of the second illustration there is plenty of opportunity to add this detail, so I made full use of it.    






No comments:

Post a Comment